Monday, March 5, 2007

Monday Musings

Pastor Fritz's sermon yesterday (on Luke 6:24-26, especially v. 24) raised a lot of questions. We ran out of time to address them all in Pastor's Coffee House. Here are two we didn't get to. Leave a comment sharing your thoughts.

1. Some Christians give up their wealth in order to better follow God.
  • Should we do this?
  • Could you do this?
  • What would be the hardest thing to give up?

2. If we don't give it all away, how do we relate to our wealth? What is the difference between a Christian's attitude toward their money and our community's attitude?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may be selfish, but I've seen poverty and I don't like it nor do I want it. I like being able to buy what I "need" when I "need" it. But I find that regardless of how much money I have, I worry about it constantly. When I was poorer I would worry when my bank accout dropped under $100. Now I worry when it drops under $500 - and its the same worry.

Anonymous said...

The idealist in me says "yes," we should be more generous with our money and less clingy to our stuff. Do we really need the stereos and tvs and cars and fancy cookware and big houses? Plenty of people get by just fine without them, and in the meantime others aren't getting by at all.

Another part of me is counting on the grace and mercy and forgiveness of God, because I'm not likely to go through my house and purge, then move into a two-room apartment somewhere.

We humans are so selfish sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys this is my first comment (this is a different 'anonymous'), so:

I think that if we give away all our wealth, then we can't make a difference. In most cases, you need to have money to make money, so if you give all your money away, you can't make more money and then you can't give any money away at all. It is better to give what you can and be generous but keep yourself stable as well. Because by giving all of your money away, you are creating more poverty, even if you have saved a person's life, you havent made a difference in the world's poverty.