Thursday, April 12, 2007

Keep Questioning

After service Easter Sunday a teenager in our faith community asked me "Who created God?" The ensuing conversation lasted for as long as it could in the post Easter meet & greet and I am sure that he left with more questions than answers. I was glad, however, that he was asking those questions - even if his intent was just to show his rebellion at being in church. Faith does not mean a lack of questions. Following God does not mean turning our brains off. God is way too big, broad, vast, deep and wide to understand but that doesn't mean we shouldn't ask questions and seek answers - of yourself, of the Bible, of pastors and teachers, of God.

Of course we may find answers in short supply. Our faith, our God and our relationship with God is shrouded in mystery. I know God works in this world because I feel God working in my life. How? I don't know. Why? I can give pat answers (love, grace, because that's what God does) but I don't really know. But ultimately I must accept the mystery.

No comments: