Tuesday, July 20, 2010

More on General Assembly

Recently the three Long Island representatives to the 219th PC(USA) General Assembly made a brief report about their experiences via email. Here are some excerpts:

Elder Gordon Moore - Despite differing theological positions, moral stances and social agendas, commissioners and advisory delegates were able to come together, debating a broad spectrum of complex and controversial issues in a spirit of love and mutual respect. In my view, much was accomplished, and throughout the entire process we were guided, refreshed and energized by “rivers of living water.”

One more thing – I am fully convinced that without the involvement and vital contributions of our young adult advisory delegates (YAAD’s), we could not have come close to accomplishing all that we did!


Elder Lorna Lisa – [Going to General Assembly] was a great privilege and a responsibility that I took very seriously but I absolutely loved!! I served on the Peacemaking and International Issues Committee which recommended to the Assembly that they call upon the United States government to end combat operations in Afghanistan. The PC(USA) had not taken a stand on the war since it began in 2001.



I left General Assembly with a feeling of renewed hope for our denomination (especially after listening to our YAAD’s) and a deep appreciation for the PC(USA).



The Rev. Wanda Lawry Hughes - Whenever I am asked to describe what it means to be a Presbyterian I always say that it means that every member has a voice and a vote. Unfortunately I suffered a bout of laryngitis and as I sat in my committee meeting and listened to the arguments about the Belhar Confession, a confession of faith written at the time of apartheid in South Africa in opposition to racism, God reminded me that countless peoples over the centuries have lost their voices due to racism and oppression. As I remembered that many voices had been silenced, I realized that I could not keep quiet. I had to speak out against racism and oppression. I had to speak out against fear. I had to speak up for justice, reconciliation and unity. And so I did.

No comments: